Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A knife fight (sort of), two broken ankles (sort of), and we ruined basketball

Hey everyone!! 

So I put a lot of pictures here and hopefully you can see them. Something weird is happening with the computer. Anyway I wish I would have taken more píctures during the week. The city Im in is pretty dirty but I love the people here. They're humble and most of them are kind. The member and the converts here are super cool. Any time were at their house they ask if were hungry and they don't ever hesitate to give you as much food as possible. Another reason why often times Ive left a meal feeling so sick. I eat so much and don't want to offend the people here. I don't really know what to write today! Ill go with some experiences Ive had so far.

The second or third day we were here we went to some converts house. I'll make this short. So we got into the house. The mom of 5 or 6 kids was talking a ton and then the husband came out of the bathroom and started talking to us. I didn't know what was going on but it looked like a pretty heated convo. After we left their house I asked my comp what happened and he said that the mom thought her husband cheated on her and she started slashing him with a knife. I had noticed that he was cut but I didn't know why. It was pretty insane because we got to their house 2 minutes after it happened. God works in amazing ways and I think it was because we got there at that moment that everything stopped. Elder Osorio talked to them and really helped them a lot. They're back on good terms! They're really cool people but my first impression was Holy Cow Guatemalans are insane...

Second experience.. My comp and I ruined basketball for our whole mission... How you might ask? Well me and my comp are both pretty athletic guys so they split us up. My team won like 10 games in a row and my comp was trying to block me. I got a rebound and Im not sure what happened but I hit him somehow and made him sprain his ankle pretty bad. So he left the gym and I kept playing. 5 mins later I run and jump for a rebound, I grab it and I land super wrong and totally sprained my ankle as well! It hurt so bad! So when we got home we got a call from president. He says "Hey Elder Osorio hows your ankle?" "Its good president!" "How's your companion's?" "Good as well!" "Thats good to hear, well we're not allowing basketball in the mission anymore. We love you guys! Bye!"
WHAT?!?!? 

I was so mad. Apparently our zone leader told him and thats why we cant play anymore.. Im bugged because I was finally able to dunk yesterday!!! Anyway, me and my comp are all good. We were walking the streets last night looking like we were drunk but it was totally fine! 

Anyway, sorry I don't have time to write more for all of you! Theres still more! 

I love my mission and I love the people here. Even the ones that are poops sometimes. I know that they are children of God and that is sufficient enough for me to love them as well. Talk to you next week!!

Love Elder Whelan

P.S. For district Pedro, I saw Hermano Bajan today!!!!!!!!! And Hermano Garcia! He cracked a ton of jokes and it was super weird!









1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    Pretty intense week, but you gotta hand it to the mission president on how he handled the situation!
    Short, sweet, to the point! Gotta keep health to be able to serve the Lord fully!
    We are praying for your success!
    Love the McNabbs

    ReplyDelete